Ten tips to speed up your home inspection:
Sellers can speed up their home sale by preparing their home for the inspection ahead of time using the following tips. The inspection will go smoother with fewer concerns to delay closing.
- Confirm the water, electrical, and gas services are turned on, and that the gas pilot lights are lit.
- Although I am an animal lover, please make sure your pets will not hinder the inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from the premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at home.
- Replace burned-out light bulbs to avoid a "light is inoperable" report that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors, and replace dead batteries.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC filters. They should fit securely.
- Move stored items, debris, and wood away from the foundation. These may be cited as conducive conditions for termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electrical service panels, water heaters, the attic, and the crawlspace.
- Unlock any locked areas that your home inspector must access, such as the attic door or hatch, electrical service panel, the door to the basement, and any exterior gates.
- Trim tree limbs so that they are at least 10 feet from the roof. Trim any shrubs that are too close to the house and can hide pests or hold moisture against the exterior. If necessary, hire a professional.
- Repair or replace any broken or missing items, such as doorknobs, locks and latches, window panes and screens, gutters and downspouts, and chimney caps.
Checking these areas before your home inspection is an investment in selling your property. Your real estate agent will thank you!